Underrated Rappers of 2k19

Underrated Rappers of 2k19

Kaiden Mackey, Entertainment Writer

Over the summer, many new projects were released that have helped diversify rap as a genre. From Tyler, The Creator’s “IGOR” to Trippie Redd’s “!”, we’ve gotten a lot of unique and different voices and there will always be more to come. However, this article isn’t about the new big names. I’m here to talk about the lesser known names in rap today that I, personally, believe deserve more recognition for their talent that’s underappreciated.

P.S. I also put my own recommendations for songs to listen to by the artists if you’re interested in listening to something different.

• Germ

Jerry Antoine or Germ is a rapper, producer, and skater from Atlanta, Georgia. Being part of the Buffet Boys, he has affiliations with rappers like Pouya and Fat Nick. His name was a nickname created due to his history with graffiti. Initially, he wanted to be a skateboarder. He picked up skateboarding when he was 15 years old and up until 2013, he was fully committed. After a video of him rapping on a board was discovered by Fat Nick, and introduced through Pouya, they were determined to make a single with him and in 2014, we were introduced to Germ in “Drop Em Off” on SoundCloud. He’s best known for singles like “Han Solo” and “Slip On A Banana Clip.” He’s another example of great potential that is completely unseen by majority rap listeners, even though he has features with names like Lil Uzi Vert. My recommended song for Germ is “UDIGG” from “Germ Has A Death Wish

• Jayy Grams

Jayy Grams is an anomaly because of the fact that he is a 19 year old rapper who still uses the older style of rap. I was introduced to him through his song “Pigs Theory” from “Grime & Basslinez” which was mostly based off of the police’s mistreatment of minorities, referencing them as “grown hall monitors”. If you’re a fan of the old school style, my recommended song would be “Hypebeast” off of the “Good Times – EP”

• Boobie Lootaveli

Boobie Lootaveli has kept his personal information a lot more private than the others on the list. He’s usually a featured artist with Pouya, even making a joint project titled “Greatest Hits, Vol. 3” He isn’t tied down to one form or style of rap, varying on every album or single. Some of his best hits feature Pouya with a verse while he focuses on the hooks. My recommended song to get you hooked is second to newest single “Grandmas Boy

• Pouya

This Floridian “underground underdog” has been featured in a handful of songs with other rappers on this list. This ankle breaker has collaboration albums with other underground faces like Fat Nick, Boobie lootaveli, and broke into the mainstream with songs like “1000 Rounds” and his feature in Yung Gravy’s “The Boys Are Back In Town” Pouya has pointed out in interviews that more and more musicians from Florida have been making it in the rap scene, him being no exception. He started out as a highschool dropout who bussed tables until he met Fat Nick who teamed up with him to create Buffet Boys, the once group now record label we know today. He released his newest album, “The South Got Something To Say” on June 30th and i think it’s his best one so far. I recommend starting off with “Mood Swing Misery” from his newest album.

• Armani White

Armani White is a rapper with a difficult upbringing, using it as a way to not only better himself, but to hewn it and use it to his advantage. When he steps on stage, this Philadelphia born artist goes back to when he was only four years old, when at the time, he was stuck in the middle of domestic violence between his parents. He would scream to try and stop the arguing only to never be heard. He uses that moment to capture the passion in his voice and it’s that passion that magnetized me to his music. My recommended song is his 2019 single, “Flip”

• Jasiah

Jasiah originated with “Case 19” which featured controversial face 6ix9ine. Since then, he has released his first album “Jasiah I Am” with banger after banger, like “Shenanigans” which features Yung Bans and even in “Heartbreak” with a feature from Travis Barker, who also had a collaboration with $uicideboy$ earlier this year. Jasiah gives off vibes that I can only compare with X, simply due to his different genres all rolled up in one tight project. He mainly works with a mosh rap form, with exceptions like “FDD” which is a calming blend of acoustic guitar and beats that have you bobbing your head the whole time. My recommended song for Jasiah would have to be “Neon Rainbows” from “Jasiah I Am

• Oren Major

Oren Major is another example of a more classic style of rap. Inspired by big names from Kanye to Ludacris. What makes Oren different is his style of statement. His style is described as “aggressively conscious” due to the way that he isn’t in any way attempting to be preachy. He will “…try to say things in a way that people want to hear it.” Oren’s past history with poetry and his aggressive consciousness combine together to create music like no other. My recommended song is “Ghetto Hymns” from his 2018 album “Black Privilege”

• Rico Nasty

You might recognize the name Rico Nasty for her XXL Freshman class freestyle that, in my opinion, perfectly represented her art style and unique flare that radiates from her. I purposely put her at the end because she just has a style that is unlike any other. She doesn’t need to copy anyone’s style because she has one for herself that has no competitors. Her first releases were two mixtapes in 2016 titled “The Rico Story” and “Sugar Trap” People who enjoy her music also like rappers like YBN Cordae and DaBaby. She was a feature in “Butt Naked” by A$AP Ferg and she goes off on anyone who hates on her. She’s, at least in my opinion, one of the best female rappers in the scene. My recommended song is “Countin’ Up” from her 2018 album “Nasty