The Warm- Hearted Ms. Bunny Kindness- 365 Days of the Year

Trinity Jamerson, Feature Editor

Usually people are happy and jolly approaching the holiday season, other days it’s a fight just to make it through. This surely isn’t the case for Ms. Ilona Gardner, commonly known as Ms. Bunny.  She is the true example of having the holiday spirit three-hundred and sixty-five days a year.  Here at the New Castle Jr./Sr. High School, Ms. Bunny is a para-professional. She provides learning support, emotional support, and class aid along with a team of teachers.  Anytime you come in contact with her, whether it be in passing or directly, she has this smile stretching from ear to ear and will brighten any mood.  Ms. Bunny has worked as para-professional since 2004, but has been at New Castle High since 2007.  Here’s a little bit more about the warmhearted Ms. Bunny.

Q1: What made you want to be a para-professional?

Answer: It was like a destiny. I started out doing daycare from my house which soon became old, so  I became a teacher assistant at Head Start from 1998 to 2003 and I’ve been here since.

Q2: What is your favorite part about being a para-professional?

Answer: Everyday my prayer is to touch someone’s life, make them smile, and just to have a positive impact because honestly the pay isn’t all that, but if I can help someone I’m satisfied.

Q3What keeps you going? Something that you live by?

Answer: My family! I’m a mother of six sons and I have thirty-eight grandchildren. I’m like the elder of the family. I live by the word of God and his love.  Once you find who you are in him you become molded and they only way is up from there.

Q4:  Is there someone throughout your life who has inspired you to be the person who you are today?

Answer:  My grandmother, she taught me to love myself. She taught me that no matter what I do be the best at it even if it’s something as simple as sweeping the floor.

Q5:  What makes you the way you are? Why are you do positive?

Answer:  Experience. I’ve been through a lot, from being lied to, to being cheated and I was hurt. Knowing  how I felt, I knew I didn’t want to be that hurt in someone else’s life.  Basically I treat people how I want to be treated.

Q6:  If you could change your job here at New Castle High School to be anything with no limits what would you be? Why?

Answer:  I’d have my own business. It’d be a home for those in need or without a place to go.  For example, when someone is released from jail they may have  a family to fall back on so, I’d be there there with a place to stay and resources available to give them a second chance at life.

Mrs. Bunny’s favorite quote (Word of Inspiration):

“You may shoot me with your words, You may cut me with your eyes, You may kill me with your hatefulness, but still, like air, I’ll rise.” – Maya Angelou

It doesn’t matter what people do or what life may throw at you. You fall get back up. You got this!

“We fall down but we get back up”- Song by Donnie McClurkin

It takes slim to no effort at all just to be nice, so why not just be nice! Ms. Bunny is a perfect example of the holiday spirit and she has it all 365 days a year!! It was a joy doing this interview with Ms. Bunny. I hope that you not only enjoyed this article, but took something  away from it also.

The Eye of the Hurricane presented Ms. Bunny with a Holiday surprise!

Trinity Jamerson Ms. Bunny Mr. Abraham