New Castle Wrestlers Get WPIAL Ranking

New Castle Wrestlers Get WPIAL Ranking

Gavin Joyce, Sports Editor

Recently the WPIAL released preseason rankings. New Castle, unfortunately did not get ranked as a team. However, eight wrestlers got ranked individually for their weight classes. Of these eight wrestlers, four made it to the WPIAL tournament last season. Four of these wrestlers are seniors and will be wrestling as a Red Hurricane for the last time this season. The other four however, are juniors and will be returning.

Stone Miller, senior, was ranked ninth in the 113lb weight class. Dante Mangieri, Junior, was ranked twenty- fourth. Jonah Miller, Junior, was ranked fifth in the 132lb weight class. Cameron Boyce, Senior, was ranked twenty-fifth in the 138lb weight class. Cam Hooks, Junior, was ranked twenty-first in the 145lb weight class. Gavin Joyce, Junior, was ranked twenty-second in the 152lb weight class. Anthony Eckenroad, Senior, was ranked thirty-fourth in the 182lb weight class. Finally, the final wrestler, Micah Killion, Senior, was ranked eleventh in the 220lb weight class.

The wrestling team has high hopes this season. Every wrestler that made it to the WPIAL tournament last season are returning to the team this season. The Canes are coming off of a 5-8 season. The wrestlers are able to do a lot more in the offseasons with the wrestling room being moved from the high school to The Rack. This gives the wrestlers more space to run, weight equipment at their leisure, and a larger mat to practice on. Let’s wish our Canes a great season, and congratulate those ranked this season! Go Canes!