Remembering NBA Star Kobe Bryant LEGENDS LOST

Brady Cwynar, Sophomore Editor

On Sunday January 26, 2020 at 41 years old basketball star Kobe Bryant and his daughter, 13 year old Gianna Bryant, died in a fatal helicopter crash in Calabasas, California.

Kobe Bryant born August 23, 1978 is one of the most notable players in NBA history. Bryant in 1996, was drafted first round 13th overall pick by the Charlotte Hornets. He was traded to the Lakers were he became the 2nd youngest NBA player in history when the 96′-97′ season opened. Cementing his skills in the game of basketball, in just Bryant’s second season in NBA he became the youngest NBA All-Star. Kobe Bryant was a five time NBA champion with the Los Angeles Lakers in the years 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, and 2010, the only team he played on in his whole career in the NBA. Along his 5 championship rings, Bryant holds a lot of accomplishments within the NBA. Such as 2nd most points scored in a single game (81 points), most years played with a single team (20 years), 4th most points scored all time (33,643 points), Youngest NBA All-Star, Most jerseys retired by a single team, Most points scored in a players final game, and many more accomplishments. Through out Bryant’s career he had many struggles, such as sharing the spotlight with fellow teammate Shaquille O’Neal. Also in 2003, Bryant was involved in a sexual assault were a 19 year old hotel employee accused Bryant of raping her the night before Bryant was going to have surgery. Bryant admitted to an adulterous encounter with his accuser, but denied the allegation of sexual assault. The case was dropped after the woman refused to testify in the case. This was settled out of court, and Bryant publicly apologized to his accuser, but remained his stance as innocent. Despite multiple highs and lows of Bryant’s life and NBA career, he worked through any and all roadblocks to cement a thorough and remembering worthy legacy. Kobe Bryant will be eligible to be inducted into the NBA Hall of Fame in 2021. Without a doubt, Kobe Bryant will never be forgotten through his hard work, dedication, and love for basketball.