Senior Interviews

Sarah Hunyadi

I recently had the opportunity to interview some of the Seniors in the Eye of the Hurricane.  

Brett Tyree, the Senior Editor of Operations of Eye of the Hurricane, has been a part of the journalism team for 3 years. Brett enjoys hiking, gaming, and biking in his free time. Brett is a member of the National Honor Society, a VEX Worlds qualifier, a PJAS first-place awardee, and a first-place awardee for the 2021 Engineering Day challenge.

Question: What was your biggest accomplishment while working on the Eye of the Hurricane?

Tyree: My biggest accomplishment was after I completed my article “How New Castle Can Become More Attractive to Investors.” This article received great response among local community Facebook groups and I received a certificate of achievement and scholarship from ServaxNet, a server host that moved into the former Penn Power building downtown. Additionally, Mayor Chris Frye commended me and Mr. Abe on the work we do in the Eye of the Hurricane.

Question: What did you enjoy most about your high school experience?

Tyree: I enjoyed robotics the most I think. It sort of embodies the problem-solving skills I will need in the future as I plan on going into engineering more than any other class I’ve taken.

Question: Do you plan on going off to college? If not.. then what?

Tyree: I’m going to Youngstown State University next fall and plan to attain a Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering, and go further to earn a master’s degree in the field.

Question: What are the most important lessons that you have learned in high school?

Tyree: The most important lessons I’ve learned are easily Mr. Mantinaos’s Greek lessons. The word for our 2021 AP Calculus class is ελπίδα, which means hope. I think that word probably describes my graduating class more than any other word because of the ongoing, but hopefully concluding pandemic.

Question: If you could leave one message to the future writers of EOH, what would it be?

Tyree: Don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and write something that will get people in the community thinking. Come up with unique ideas and you may just end up in the New York Times, who knows? Anything is possible.

Question: Share your experiences in high school and one thing you will miss about this class, and why?

Tyree: My high school experience will be memorable in lots of ways, from good to bad, as any experience tends to be. I’d say the most memorable moments were easily in Abe’s classes when I was in-person in 9th, 10th, and half of 11th grade. The thing I will miss and have missed most about this class is Abe. Abe brought so much energy to the Eye of the Hurricane and I wish him the absolute best in retirement.

Rachel Zona, a Senior Journalist for the Eye of the Hurricane, has been a part of the journalism team for 3 years. Rachel enjoys playing softball in her free time.

Zona: I would say that my biggest accomplishment was publishing my first article. This is because it served as a starting point for all the wonderful time I spent writing for the Eye of the Hurricane. Since then I’ve helped write, edit, and publish various articles, but I got the confidence and basis for it from all the time spent on my first article. 

Zona: I would say that I enjoyed the life lessons and bonds I’ve made. High school is such an important stage of your life because you are majorly growing as a person, and being involved with journalism, softball, cheerleading, and the musical were amazing experiences that led me to even better people!

Zona: Yes I do plan on going to Grove City College to major in Mechanical Engineering and be a member of the Wolverines Softball Team.

Zona: I have learned dedication, accountability, friendship, and community. Being a New Castle Red Hurricane is such an honorable thing, especially for our ability to come together, and I have truly learned how important that sense of family in one’s community is. 

Zona: If I could leave one message to the future writers of EOH it would be to write about what you’re passionate about, and have fun with it. You are surrounded by an amazing teaching staff and talented writers, so make the most of every opportunity and work hard!

Zona: One thing I will miss about this class is how if I was having a rough school day it would give me a break from all my regular classwork and give me the chance to relax. While I had that, I had all the wonderful memories with the other students and teachers which I will definitely miss!

Gabe Perrotta, a Senior Journalist for the Eye of the Hurricane, has been a part of the journalism team for 3 years. Gabe enjoys working out, spending time with friends and family, and playing softball in her free time.

Perrotta: My biggest accomplishment would have to be writing the numerous articles throughout my time as a member of EOH.

Perrotta: I enjoyed the memories, friendships, and the sports I have played.

Perrotta: I will be attending Youngstown State University (and the Honors College) and majoring in Biology with a Pre-Medicine track.

Perrotta: I learned so many lessons throughout high school but the most important one would have to be that change is not always a bad thing.

Perrotta: Enjoy it while you can because graduation comes so very soon.

Perrotta: I have had many enjoyable experiences throughout high school but the ones that stick out to me the most would be all of the wonderful memories from cheerleading, softball, and just with my classmates. The one thing I will miss about this class would have to be writing the articles. I was able to interview numerous people and write about anything I wanted, which helped me learn a lot about many of my teachers and fellow classmates.