Catching Up with the Canes

Maryn Sylvester, Author

Senior year is the highlight of every teenager’s high school career. When Covid struck, these seniors didn’t have the perfect “senior year” they envisioned. The class of 2020 and 2021 will, without a doubt, have a senior year they will never forget. I had the opportunity to talk with three seniors to gain their perspectives on life after high school, especially being affected by covid. From the class of 2020, second-year college students Kennedy Gabriel and K’aira Walker returned to NCHS as well as music producer Jordan Berry, to discuss their high school experiences, as well as college life. This is just a little taste of all the wonderful things New Castle High School alumni are up to, now that they have graduated. 

Q: What have you been doing after graduation?

KG (Kennedy Gabriel): Since graduation, I have been at Kent State University studying to go to law school and minoring in Musical Theater. 

KW(K’aira Walker): I have been attending Slippery Rock University and majoring in Health Care Administration. I did all of my freshman year classes online, but I have been completely on campus my sophomore year. 

JB (Jordan Berry): I have started my music back up, which includes music production, singing, and songwriting. 

Q: Covid affected your senior year a lot, what is something positive that came out of this?

KW: Whenever we were on lockdown I was able to finally just take a break. School, work, and everything else I was dealing with in my life was really stressing me out. 

Q: How is the transition from virtual college your freshman year different from your in-person class sophomore year?

KG: I like in person better because I am a very hands-on type of learner and it was definitely difficult being online my first year and trying to get adjusted while learning new things. 

Q: What is different about your education now?

KG: It is very much on your own work and most of the time you have to teach yourself things. 

Q: What is one thing you miss about high school?

JB: No adult responsibilities.

Q: If you had the opportunity to re-do your senior year normally, would you? 

KW: Yes because I had to miss out on many senior activities like prom and the senior trip. Thankfully, we were able to have an actual graduation ceremony. 

Q: Favorite high school memory?

KW: I think my favorite memory would be cap, gown, and yard sign distribution drive-thru. All of the teachers were there clapping for each senior that drove through as they got their cap, gown, and sign. 

Q: What is the most exciting part about college for you?

KG: Meeting new people and being able to be on my own. 

From the class of 2021, we have 1st-year college students Logan Gibson and Anthony Cumo who returned to NCHS for an interview, as well as Flowline employee, Domenic Sylvester. 

LG (Logan Gibson): After graduation, I was working all summer to get some money before college.

AC (Anthony Cumo): Enjoying the nice weather and doing things I like.

DS (Domenic Sylvester): Working at flowline full time over the summer.

LG: I miss being with the people I grew up with every day. 

AC: No. I think everything happens for a reason and that it was meant to be that way. 

Q: Favorite high school memory?

DS: Senior night of football

LG: I’m most excited about being independent and making new friends that I will have for the rest of my life. 

AC: Different subjects I’ve never learned before and just getting back in the classroom.

Q: Has the transition from high school to college been challenging for you?

LG: Transitioning was easy because I am a very outgoing and studious person.

A special thanks to all the intervieweeses for taking the time to contribute to this article. Have a great rest of the school year!