Student Teacher Spotlight: Ms. Ryan

Joshua Hoerner

New Castle Jr/Sr. High School teams up with Slippery Rock University each semester to have student teachers, student tutors, and content area field students in our school. I recently had the opportunity to interview Ms. Ryan. Ms. Ryan is Mr. Lubin’s student teacher and is a senior at Slippery Rock University.  I hope you enjoy the interview-Josh

Q: Becoming a student teacher while being a student-athlete is one tough test.  How do you juggle all of your responsibilities?

A: I have to set aside time for everything.  If I don’t schedule out my time, I won’t get everything that needs to be done.  I make sure I plan ahead so I don’t get left behind.  I also make sure I prioritize student teaching over track, which is hard sometimes.  

Q: How has becoming a student teacher changed your perspective on teaching?

A: It has made me realize that teaching is nothing like they teach you in college.  It has taught me that getting to know students and working with them to meet their needs is more important than the material itself.   

Q: What have you learned from Mr. Lubin?

A: I’ve learned to be prepared for anything and everything.  He has really emphasized that.  He has also said it is important to get to know your students.  

Q: What extracurricular activities are you involved in outside of teaching?  

A: I do cross country, winter track, and spring track.  

Q: How did you fall in love with teaching?

A: I’ve always loved helping people.  I’ve always enjoyed tutoring, and know that I’ve wanted to work with people, and I also have loved English my whole life.  So, I thought teaching English would be the perfect career for me because it took two things I loved and put them together.  

Q: Have you enjoyed teaching at New Castle?  What are some things that you would change?

A: Yes, I have loved teaching here so much.  The staff has been amazing, and everyone has been welcoming and friendly to me.  My students are great for the most part, but even on my bad days I still have support from Mr. Lubin and others which helps.  I wish I could do more electronically because I definitely believe this generation works better when they have the use of technology in the room.  

Q: Why did you choose Slippery Rock?

A: I chose Slippery Rock because it was far away from my home in Philly, but still in Pennsylvania.  I knew they had a good education program and a good track team, so I knew it fit all of my needs perfectly.  It is also very nature orientated, which caught my attention.  

Q: Where did you attend High School?

A: Pennridge in Philadelphia.  

Q: How did you fall in love with running?

A: I started running as an outlet, and I wanted to get in shape and I quickly realized that I was good at it and it was improving my mental health and giving me something to strive for.  I also loved the competition.  I also loved it because it turned me into a hard worker.  

Q: Favorite restaurant?

A: El Canelo.  

We wish Ms. Ryan the best of luck in her search for a teaching position and all of her extracurricular activities.