Get to Know Dr. Carson – Our Newest Science Teacher

Get to Know Dr. Carson - Our Newest Science Teacher

Justin Byers, Author

Get to Know Dr. Carson

I’ve had the absolute pleasure of talking and getting to know our new Sr. High Science teacher a little more. Check out the interview below!

What made you decide to become a teacher? 

“After I graduated from high school, I took a semester off to figure out what I wanted to do and spent way too much time driving a tractor. I decided that life wasn’t for me and went to school to become a vet. I was always really good at math and science. After a couple of years, during this time, I fell in love with teaching. I did, however, want to be able to reach younger people. I found teaching MDs and PhDs to be not very satisfying, as I felt I made a little real impact on their lives.”

Why did you decide to teach at New Castle?

“After getting my teaching certificate From St Vincent College. When a permanent science position became available at New Castle, I jumped on it. I feel I fit in well at New Castle. I love that at New Castle; you have the opportunity to really make a difference in the lives of the kids that you teach. I love that the kids at New Castle are loyal to the people that are on their side and that they know what loyalty means.”

Is this your first-time full-time teaching? 

“I started teaching as a tutor at New Castle High School, where I tutored biology and math. I also taught chemistry and AP chemistry at New Castle. I was then offered a permanent position at Union High School, where I taught everything from math to chemistry for four years.”

What classes do you currently teach? 

“I currently teach 9th-grade Integrated Science, Biology, and Forensics.”

What previous classes have you taught?

“Everything from math to chemistry.”

What degree did you decide to major in? 

“I double majored in Molecular Biology and Biochemistry.”

For reference,

• Molecular biology is the branch of biology that studies the molecular basis of biological activity.
  • Biochemistry, sometimes called biological chemistry, is the study of chemical processes within and relating to living organisms. A sub-discipline of both chemistry and biology, biochemistry may be divided into three fields: structural biology, enzymology, and metabolism.

What college did you decide to go to?

“I graduated from the University of Idaho and I was accepted to the University of Pittsburgh’s Ph.D. program. I earned my Ph.D. from Pitt in 2006.”

Did it help that the previous teacher (Mrs. Hughes) left the Forensic Science binder and lesson plans for you? 

“This is my first time teaching forensics and I am thankful that materials were left for me, although they are only a rough guide.”

What would you be doing if you weren’t teaching?

“If I wasn’t teaching, I would probably still be a researcher.”

What are your hobbies and favorite pastimes? 

“[In college], I fell in love with molecular biology and designed a gene therapy research project that would become my passion for the next decade. While at Pitt, I pursued variants of my gene therapy concept for many years and became faculty at Pitt. Also, I enjoy outdoor activities like hiking and biking, and fishing with my kids. I also really love math and logic puzzles.”

What is your favorite television show?

“I don’t really watch much TV, but watch silly things on YouTube, like nature and war documentaries, StarCraft games, and people building wooden boats.”

What was your first job?

“I grew up in Northern Idaho, and my first job was working on a wheat and lentil farm. I actually worked there for many years during high school and early college.”

What do you look forward to in this coming school year?

“The science of Forensics is super easy for me, but the legal angle is still very new to me. I am very much looking forward to this coming year and feel we have a lot of work to do.”

Do you have anything to say to the kids who currently have you as a teacher?

“I feel that when we stay on task and work every day, we can get where we need to be.”

I wish Dr. Carson and all of his classes the best this new year and hope for many more years.