New Castle 2017 Tip-Off Tournament Spring Preview

Tyler Francis, Sports Writer

Every year, Coach Blundo and the New Castle Basketball team host there annual two day Tip Off tournament at the New Castle Field House. On the first day of Tip Off, the first game was Riverside Lady Panthers vs Shenango Lady Wildcats. The Lady Panthers beat the Lady Wildcats by a score of 75-41. The next game was the Westinghouse Bulldogs against the Central Valley Warriors. The Bulldogs upset the Warriors 42-40. The last game was our New Castle Red Hurricanes vs the Unions Scotties. The Red Hurricanes defeated the Scotties 60-39. Senior Marcus Hooker, an Ohio State recruit had 13 Points, Senior Cahil Dorman had 11 Points, and Junior Drew Cox had 12 Points. New Castle went on a streak of 8 points in a 9 Seconds in the first quarter.

On the second day of Tip Off, the Lady Red Hurricanes faced off against the Lady Wildcats. The Lady Hurricanes defeated the Wildcats 47-30. New Castle junior Lindsay Frabotta had the game high of 21 points, 10 rebounds, 5 assists, and 10 blocks. Sophomore Raquel Rivera had 11 points and Junior Olivia Valenti had 11 points also. After the girls played, the Central Valley Warriors played the Union Scotties. The Scotties played a tough game but, the Warriors defeated the Scotties 52-46. The Lady Canes played another game and face off against The Riverside Lady Panthers. The Lady Panthers upset the Lady Canes 42-33. Frabotta had 14 points and 10 rebounds. Senior Mariah Shephard had 10 points and 10 rebounds. It was a very successful tip off tournament for the Lady Canes. The final game for the ending of the New Castle Tip Off tournament was our Red Hurricanes against the Westinghouse Bulldogs. The Red Hurricanes fell to Westinghouse 46-45. Senior Freddy Soto had 6 points and had a 3 pointer at the buzzer but sadly, it bounced off the rim and  hit of the wire in which it did not count. Senior Anthony Bailey and Junior Drew Cox had 5 points, Dorman had 3, and Marcus Hooker had 20 points. This is the first time Coach Blundo ever lost a tip off game in the 8 years Coach Blundo coached at New Castle.