Mr. Croach Interview Spring Edition Preview

Nick Russo, Feature Editor

I had the opportunity to meet with Mr. Croach Head Track and Field Coach at New Castle Senior High School and discuss his philosophy of coaching.

1. Is coaching a large part of your life?

Yes, it is. Coaching is one of the major parts of my life.

2. Do you find that the way you coach bleeds over into the way you teach, or vice versa?

I do believe that coaching bleeds into teaching and teaching bleeds into coaching. In  both, I try to get the best out of you!

3. Do you find that friendships form with the students you coach?

Yes, I do. Coaching gives you a chance to see the other side of the students I teach.

4. What do you consider to be the greatest accomplishment in coaching?

I think that winning the section 3 out of 6 years is a great accomplishment. Also, I have seen 27 records broken in the events that I have coached during the past 20  years.

5.How do you motivate your students to do better?

I am always doing things different to push them so that I can bring out the best in them.

6. Has coaching always been an aspiration you had?

Yes, my father was a teacher and a coach, which inspired me to do both. I’d love to

be half the teacher/coach that he was. He is and always will he my hero.

7. How has coaching changed you life?

I have met a lot of people and changed a lot of lives, and because of this my life has changed as well.

8. Do you treat the students you coach different in the classroom?

No, I get along with all of my students and I treat them all the same.

9.Would you say that your experiences in coaching have made you a better teacher, or vice versa?

I would say that coaching has made me a better teacher because I get to see the other side of my students and that helps me put things into perspective.

10. Do  you ever get tired of being a coach?

It does wear on you a little, but that will never outweigh the things that come out of  coaching. I love watching people compete, succeed, and become a better person.