Joe Cowart: he does it all, but how?

Sophia Reider, NCTV News

Image result for joe cowart

Joe Cowart has been a Math teacher, News/Video Production teacher, and coach of Varsity Football and Track and Field here at New Castle High School for many years. On top of that, he is a father, husband, and role model to his family, athletes, and students. Cowart has motivated and touched the lives of those around him in many special ways, but how does he do it all? Our staff at NC News sat down with Cowart and asked him a few popular questions.

How do you juggle the responsibilities of being a father, husband, teacher, and coach of multiple varsity sports?

C: It takes lot of time, but I care about the kids and I enjoy doing it all so it’s not a hard thing to do. I enjoy track and field because it’s a different sport than football. It poses a whole new set of challenges that I like to tackle. The most important thing to me is my home life.

You teach a diverse curriculum between math classes and video production, what made you choose to do so?

C: I graduated from college with a communications degree, so that’s where I found my passion for video productions and communications. I enjoy Vvdeo and the challenges it presents to students.  Teaching math is something I love, systematic problem solving – the basic tenet of math – is my core passion. I like to teach young people how to analytically evaluate and solve a problem involving numbers. So I guess I enjoy communicating and solving problems – that’s where my diverse curriculum teaching stems.

What is your favorite part of being able to combine NCTV News from video production and Eye of the Hurricane news from journalism classes?

C: I think being able to combine television news and written news is essential in the world of getting the word out, especially for young kids today because young people are using all sorts of different social media platforms. The platforms here at New Castle High School are our television news and our written news.  We are doing our best to incorporate different avenues of expressing our news through different mediums. Kids today look at Facebook and Twitter and Instagram, and those particular types of news avenues all start with being able to write and speak and present yourself well to an audience. We are doing our best to teach our students these things in the News and Video Production classes.

Final thoughts?

C: If you are interested in writing and speaking better, in becoming a young person that can clearly express your thoughts in a strong and persuasive manner, then our Video Class and our Journalism class will really propel you forward in those regards.