Interview with History Teacher: Mr. Runyon

Alexis Bethle, Feature Editor

Mr. Runyon is my tenth grade U.S. history teacher. History has not been my favorite subject as a student but the way Mr. Runyon teaches really sparks a want to know more about history. His teaching skills were really interesting to me so I wanted to ask him questions about his teaching skills and his life as a teacher. He gladly welcomed me into his room to do this interview and to ask about him and how he became a teacher.

Q: How long have you been a teacher for?

A: “This is my twenty-second year teaching.”

Q: Where did you go to college for teaching?

A:”I got a degree at Austin Pay State University in Tennessee and then went on to graduate at Youngstown State University.”

Q: What is something that inspires you to teach everyday?

A: “I have always had a love for history and I like to share my knowledge with student for them to look into. Your generation can really use to know more about your past and how you are what you are today.”

Q: What is your favorite thing about teaching?

A: “Call me crazy but i love being able to interact with the students everyday.”

Q: Why did you decide to become a teacher?

A: “When I was a student most of my coaches were teachers and the bond that they had with their students throughout the whole year was really inspirational.”

Q: What sports have you coached?

A: “I coached girls basketball, boys football and boys baseball.”

Q: If you could teach one thing for the rest of your life what would it be?

A: “I wish a had a science degree I am fascinated with stars and astronomy.”

Q: What is one rule you live by as a teacher?

A: “Treat everybody fairly because kids know from the beginning if you are honest or not.”

Q: Who is someone you look up to?

A: “My father and father-in-law, they worked in the steel mill and railroad and were very hard workers.”

Q: What is something you would say to someone who wants to be a teacher?

A: “Try to learn that all students are just like people you can’t teach everyone the same way.”

Q: What are your thoughts of retirement?

A: ” I never really thought about it until lately but now that I have I am really excited about it and I am excited to go around the world with my wife.”

Overall, Mr. Runyon was a great person to talk to and was kind throughout the whole experience. This taught me to never be afraid to talk to someone new because you never know how much you can learn from them. Overall, this was a very good experience and I would like to thank Mr. Runyon for his willingness to do this interview.