Maria’s Commentary on World Issues

Maria Sergiienko, Senior Editor

Unfortunately, in today’s world there are many social, economic and political issues faced by our generation. Each problem should be important to the citizens of our world, because only awareness of the situation will help people direct their actions to improve the situation. Because of the many problems of today, people forget about the issues that accompany us throughout our lives without even thinking about them. It is our responsibility to do the necessary research to fully understand the many issues that we face today.

For example, more people forget about the animals that we share the planet with.  Sadly, the testing of animals for make-up, personal care, medical  research, and haberdashery is what’s happening today in countries around the world. The worst part of this problem is that a large number of people are not even aware of the serious problem. Now, in the 21st century, thanks to new technologies, a sufficient number of experiments, and tests conducted with alternative testing, there is no such need to use animals. The world already knows most elements that are contraindicated in the human body used in products for everyday use or elements that are threatened in the environment. Despite that, a large number of world-known companies continue to use these horrible animal testing practices to find a new way to save money on product manufacturing, or even consider it a way to portray their respect for the brand’s history and traditions. Given the abuse associated with animal testing, the world needs to appreciate all life.  All animals need an advocate because they cannot speak for themselves, and we need to be more compassionate towards all of them. A large number of experimented animals die during testing because companies do not want to spend money on alternative methods. If society does not take much care of this situation, then it forces us to think about the ethical level of society and readiness to solve other problems in the world.  For example, several companies have demonstrated good faith and have not tested animals. At least 450 alternative ethical scientific methods of testing drugs that are safe for the human body were developed. Novo Nordisk, a Danish pharmaceutical company, has decided to replace animal experiments by culturing cells with pre-sale quality control of each batch of drugs.

Not everyone has been educated with the other methods that can be used today instead of using animal experimentation. They prefer to spend money and not learn advanced approaches, thus continuing to work in the more traditional scientific method. Human cosmetic drug testing methods are available today in several models: genomic, in test tubes, computer simulation, studies of healthy and sick volunteers. The world already has the ability to use all sorts of units, models,  and imitators of the human body.  These were all developed by scientists, without harming animals.

When purchasing products, most consumers do not look at the packaging to verify that the product has not been tested using animals. When I arrived in the United States, I saw that the situation concerning this issue was similar to that of Ukraine as well as other countries-“a lack of teenage awareness”. Therefore, I concluded that the younger generation does not know what is hidden behind products that they buy every day.  My goal is to educate and work together with other students on such issues so we can improve our planet.