Eye of the Hurricane

• May 15Senior Edition 2019

Meet the First Women Superintendent of the New Castle Area School District Holiday Edition

Angelina Quahliero, Feature Editor

Mrs. Debra DeBlasio has been in our school district for well over thirty- four years. In fact this January she will be celebrating her thirty- fifth year in the district. Her interest in education began early because she’s always had much love for children. Mrs. DeBlasio is the youngest of six siblings. Family is extremely important to her especially her nieces and nephews. Mrs. DeBlasio’s family mostly consisted of educators. As a student she would visit her brother George Gabriel in his classroom.  Debra loved seeing how he helped and encouraged the children to be their very best. Mrs. DeBlasio is heavily influenced, believe it or not, by her students. The students she taught have shaped her into the educator she is today. Making a difference in the lives of her students is important to her.

Mrs. DeBlasio states that she is proud and humbled to be the first woman to become Superintendent of the New Castle Area School District. Many people may not know that Mrs. DeBlasio was about to retire with thirty-five years in the district. But when she was called upon to become the acting superintendent, and subsequently the superintendent, she felt as though she was born again. This was a part of her bucket list that she never thought she would accomplish. Being a woman in this position would allow her to bring a different perspective to the job. She brings knowledge, experience, and serious commitment with a touch of kindness. That is classic Debbie DeBlasio! But don’t mistake that kindness for weakness-she has the temperament to make very difficult decisions. 

The most challenging part of being the superintendent according to Mrs. DeBlasio is giving the students everything they need and being fiscally responsible to the taxpayers. She wants the district to be efficient, effective, and yet maintain financial responsibility. Mrs. DeBlasio stresses the fact that you can’t put a price tag on a child. After all these years the thing that Mrs. DeBlasio still enjoys the most is being around the students. That’s what she’s all about! For future educators, Mrs. DeBlasio encourages them if they have the aspiration and inspiration to become a teacher, to go for it.  Without a doubt, students today need us more than ever. Mrs. DeBlasio has both established herself in this district and within the community. We are very fortunate to have her leading the way of our students.