Mr. Demonico Retirement Interview

Gavin Joyce, Sports Editor

Recently, I was given the opportunity to interview New Castle’s wrestling coach and ex-P.E. Teacher Mark Demonico. Earlier in the school year, Mr. Demonico retired from teaching, but he kept his role as the head wrestling coach. I was wondering the affect this change had on his life, so I asked him some questions…

Q: Would you say retiring from teaching affected your coaching in a good or bad way?

A: Retiring from teaching really didn’t change the way I approach coaching wrestling. Retiring actually gave me time to better prepare each day for the program.

Q: How has the wrestling program as a whole evolved since it began in 2015?

A: The program has positively progressed since it returned which with growth, experience, and commitment I expected. The program is steadily making its mark and with continued effort expect growth.

Q: Next season, the first group of wrestlers that have been here since the wrestling team began again, how will them leaving affect the team?

A: That is gonna be tough on all of us, but they set the tone and are the teams standard for New Castle wrestlers.

Q: What do you miss most about teaching?

A: The kids needing me, but, most of all, me needing them.

Q: What advice do you have for a high school student-athlete.

A: Have pride in being a student first, and an athlete second. Nothing athletically is more important than an education, but you can do it all if you prepare and schedule your time and priorities.

Q: What’s your favorite memory as a teacher?

A: Being appreciated by the students.

Q: What’s your favorite memory as a coach thus far?

A: Watching two wrestlers from the team who never won earn their first varsity matches.

Q: Who is the greatest high school athlete you have ever seen perform in your lifetime? Why?

A: That depends on how you define “the best athlete.” The best athlete that I ever saw in high school was Tony Dorsett (former running back for the Dallas Cowboys), and Joe Allegro also earned a spot up there, as he played every sport and excelled in everyone and finished his career as starting safely at Ohio State University for four years. I think he could’ve played any sport he wanted in college.

Q: What is the most important quality to a wrestler?

A: Desire, if a wrestler has desire they will do whatever it takes to achieve things in the sport.

Q: What sport would you say works hand-in-hand to make someone a better wrestler in the offseason?

A: More wrestling, more wrestling.

Q: What are your goals for the next wrestling season?

A: To continue to help each wrestler improve and be the best they can be as a wrestler, teammate, and an individual.

Q: Would you say that retiring from teaching has allowed you to connect more with the athletes you work with?

A: That is a tough question because I do miss seeing kids daily, but I am in contact through our offseason workouts and other events involving our wrestlers. They know they can always contact me if they need me.