Interview With Mr. Samples Student Teacher Slippery Rock University

Skylar Newingham, Feature Writer

1. Wat is one of your weaknesses in teaching and how are you working to improve it?

One of my weaknesses is making every lesson interesting. I have started to do more non-traditional and multi-modal projects in class.

2. When did you realize you wanted to be a teacher?

I always had the thought but I knew for sure when I was a senior in high school.

3. What personal strengths do you find helpful in your teaching?

Making connections with students and using those connections to draw interest in the classroom.

4. What is your least favorite aspect of teaching?

Standardized Testing

5. What do you think is the greatest challenge facing students today?

Time management. Students need to juggle their time between school work, sports, extracurriculars, and jobs.

6. What steps would you follow to deal with a student who has behavioral problems?

I have a long answer for that but to keep it concise, I would first handle the problem on my own before taking the issue to the administration. The administration is busy as is, behavioral problems that continue will then be taken to administration.

7. Why do you want to teach at this school?

Before, coming to New Castle I did not know a lot about the school and its culture. After spending every day here since the end of January I have experienced the culture of the school and love coming in each day because of it.

8. How will you address your students with different learning styles?

I like to plan lessons for different types of learners. I can not always hit each style in each individual lesson but I rotate through the styles.

Mr. Samples has been a great fan of the New Castle baseball team.  Thank you for all your support!!