How to Run a Business with Andrea Budai New Castle High School Alumni Class of 1994

Isabella Budai, Feature Writer

In the beginning of August my family noticed that a business called Sunshine Salon was up for sale.  My mom immediately jumped on to buy it. Owning a salon has been my mom, Andrea’s, dream since, well forever.  My mom went to school to become a hair dresser in 1995, after she went to school she taught hair at Vo-Tech until 2003.  I was born in 2003 and I became my mom’s number one priority.  Since then she has always done hair, but it has never been her main focus. When she saw this business was for sale she decided she wanted to go back to her roots as a hair dresser. As of today, Sunshine Salon is a tanning salon, but my mom is adding a hair salon to it as well.

I decided to ask my mom a few questions as to how business has been and whats to come at Sunshine Salon. I hope this information inspires you to follow your dreams…..

Q: What was your initial reaction when you found out Sunshine Salon was for sale?

A: “I was thrilled out of my mind because I have always tanned there and always thought it would be a perfect place to add a salon to it as well.”

Q: Since you’ve bought the salon, how do you like it so far?

A:”I don’t like it, I love it!!”

Q: What makes your tanning salon different from others?

A: “This is my second home, I treat everyone like family. When they come here they feel comfortable enough to sit and chat and tell me about their day.”

Q:Given the responsibility of owning your own salon, how do you balance family and business?

A:”Yes it can be difficult but, my family and I have always worked as a team not only for the business but in our everyday life.”

Q:Would you recommend students consider a career in  Cosmetology and why?

A: “Absolutely, cosmetology is a very hands on career where you can apply your creativity.”

Q:What is the biggest challenge in running a “family” business?

A: “I would say balancing home life and the business cause of how close my family is, it can be challenging at times but, we get through it.”

Q:How has the field of  Tanning/Cosmetology changed over the years?

A: “Cosmetology has pretty much stayed the same but as for tanning it has changes over the years due to newly found regulations about tanning beds.”

Q:What do you enjoy most about work?

A: “As bad as it may sound, I love the fact that it’s all me, its MY business.”

Q:How do you deal with challenging customers?

A: “I let them speak and I make sure they are satisfied before they leave.”

Q:What advice would you give to high school students?

A: “Do what you love and follow your dreams the rest will come easy!”

Throughout this interview I have concluded that running a business is not easy. It takes a lot of hard work and drive to make your business successful. I definitely give tons of credit to my mom for how hard she works to make Sunshine Salon the best it can be.