Friday Night Lights

Donny Cade, Sports Writer

The New Castle High School football team entered the 2019 season as an underdog.  Coming off of a disappointing loss to powerhouse Thomas Jefferson,  in the first round of the play-offs last season, the Red Hurricanes knew they had some work to do. In addition, losing key starting seniors to graduation, left big shoes to fill.

The Canes opened the season with a big win of 34-27 over AAAAA school Shaler.  They kept the momentum going, as they came out victorious over Montour with a heart stopping win in the final moments of the game. The Canes season took a downward turn with a loss, while facing another tough opponent on the road at South Fayette.  The team reclaimed victory as they rolled over Beaver 45-0.  However, a loss to West Mifflin with a final score of 35-27, propelled the Red Hurricanes to work even harder. A non-conference win at South Park with a score of 36-14 has left the Canes with an overall record of 4-2.

The Canes, along with head coach Joe Cowart, are looking forward to another big game this Homecoming weekend as they prepare to take on Blackhawk, entering with a 3-3 overall and 3-2 in the conference. Good luck to the football team in the remainder of the season, and remember, as always, we bleed red and black.