Anthony Eckenroad: Senior Wrestler Holiday Edition Preview

Gavin Joyce, Sports Writer

The New Castle Varsity Wrestling Team has come a long way from where they were back in 2016. In 2016 the wrestling team did not even exist as a varsity program yet, but only a Jr. High program. However, in 2018 the program moved up into the varsity lights for the first time since 1986. This upcoming season will officially mark the first time we see the group of three year New Castle Wrestlers take on their senior season. This is the group of students who helped to pioneer the program to what we know it as today. Recently, I was given the opportunity to interview one of these seniors, one of the pioneers of the wrestling program today, Anthony Eckenroad.

Q:Is your attitude going into your senior season any different from past years? If so why?

A: Yes, I’ve been training most of the off season for preparation for my last season.

Q:Do you believe that you’re taking on a new leadership role this season?

A:Yes, coming into my last year of wrestling as a senior I believe we could all help the new upcoming wrestlers become better.

Q:I know your past season have been ridden with injuries, how do you think that you’ve come back from this?

A:I think that I will come back a lot stronger from my season ending shoulder injury last year.

Q:What were your expectations going from junior year to senior year?

A:A lot of improvement and injury free 

Q:Were your expectations met thus far? If so how?

A:Yes, since this program is so young we’ve come along way as a team to become better.

Q:Do you have any advice for upcoming wrestlers?

A:Yes, never take anything for granted and watch yourself and keep pushing yourself and stay in shape. 

Q:What’s it like being the highest form of upperclassmen on the team?

A:I think it’s a lot of responsibility this year to be the highest upperclassmen on the team because you are like a second coach for the upcoming newer wrestlers to help them learn new things.

Q:What sets wrestling so far apart from all other sports?

A: Just the work ethic and how much work you have to put in this sport to be successful and how good of shape you have to be in.

Q:What do you look forward to most for this wrestling season?

A:I look forward to hopefully a lot more wins and more improvement for me this year.

Q:Wrestling is always set with the predetermined notion that it is an individual sport, is this true?

A:Yes it is an individual sport because no one can wrestle your matches or help you but yourself but you also need coaches and your team to keep you motivated.

Q:What is your most memorable memory as a New Castle wrestler?

A:My most memorable moment as a New Castle wrestler is probably at the MAC championship tournament I was up by 10 on an opponent  and the match ended up being tied until the final 3 seconds and i took a shot and won 18-16 and the most points I’ve ever scored in a match before and I got up and I had my whole team right there.

Q:How do you plan to make this season different from your past seasons?

A:I plan to take care of my body, watch what I eat, stay in shape, improve from past seasons and become better and be there for the upcoming wrestlers.

I thank Anthony for taking the time to answer these questions for me. Let’s wish him and the rest of our Red Hurricane Wrestling team a successful and safe season, Go Canes!