Are the 2018 World Series Champions Cheaters?

Josh Hoerner, Freshman Editor

The Boston Red Sox won the 2018 World Series.  They won in five games against the Dodgers.  A whole year after winning the World Series, allegations of cheating have been presented before them.  They were able to use their replay room to gain the other teams’ signs and players would relay them to the dugout.  From the dugout, they would relay it to a base runner, who would then alert the batter.  According to the MLB rulebook, teams are not allowed to use any device to zoom in the area where the catcher is giving his sign.  According to Red Sox sources, they were not able to cheat during the World Series because the MLB added in-person monitors in both teams replay rooms, in order to prevent cheating from happening.  As you may know, the Houston Astros organization is under investigation for a cheating scandal that occurred when the Astros won the World Series in 2017.  To me, if teams have an opportunity to gain an advantage during the game, without question they will do it, without question to any of the consequences that may occur.

In 2017 and 2018, the Los Angeles Dodgers won the National League pennant.  In 2017, they lost to the Houston Astros.  In 2018, the Los Angeles Dodgers lost to the Boston Red Sox.  Now, both teams have been accused of cheating.