Glam For Gabby

Chelsea Off, Feature Writer

Gabriella Bradley was a sixteen-year-old girl who was diagnosed with stage 4 glioblastoma in the fall of 2017. Glioblastoma is a very aggressive form of brain cancer. She fought very hard until she lost her battle on July 2nd, 2018. Right before Gabby was diagnosed, she transferred from New Castle high school to Votech high school to pursue her dreams of cosmetology.

Although Gabby’s family, friends, and I struggled to live our lives without her, we wanted to search for ways to keep her memory alive. On December 2nd, 2018, the first annual event Glam For Gabby was held to honor her enthusiasm for makeup, and all proceeds went toward a fund in order to create a memorial scholarship in her name. This event includes local makeup artists doing makeup for $10 when a normal charge would be near $50. There is a boy does girl makeup contest, vendors, a photo booth, a basket raffle, food, and more. Gabby’s fellow classmates and I worked extremely hard to put this event together, and we spent months dedicated to fundraising to create a fund. The 2019 event, held on November 9th, was also a huge success. 

A $2,000 scholarship was able to be awarded to a class of 2019 honors student, and another $2,000 scholarship will be awarded to a class of 2020 honors student.