Mr. Lubin Interview Part 2 Spring Preview

Tori Salem, Feature Writer

In part two of my exclusive interview with Mr. Lubin, we discussed certain aspects of his life and his Apple problem.

Question: Do you plan on getting one of the new Apple phones?

“I DO! You know, every year it’s been a no brainer. Every year it’s been an “I’m going to get the best new Iphone every year” even though every year there is hardly any difference from one to the next. The 8 and the 8 plus come out and then there’s the 10, I’m going to get the 10, but I’m like nervous about it. You don’t have a home button which is a huge fundamental change to how you use your phone on a daily basis. Think about how many times, when you were checking your phone to see if it was still recording, you hit the home button. Also, I thought the fingerprint touch was real easy, now you have to look at your phone for it to unlock. I think that the design up at the top with the black cutout for the earpiece and the camera, I think it’s ugly, very atypical Apple. I’m nervous about the glass back because now you have two things you can shatter on your phone. So, for it being one thousand dollars, it seems like there’s a lot of tradeoffs. But, I think it’s really cutting edge technology and it’s the first fundamental shift in Iphones since the original Iphone. I’m excited about it, just nervous about investing so much money into a product that could be terrible. You think about every first generation product, the first Iphone, you couldn’t even send pictures on it and it didn’t take video so this is a first generation product all over again and you’re spending a metric ton of money on  it. I want it, so I’m going to get it because I’m an Apple fanboy through and through but Salem, I’m nervous.”

Question: What was your first Apple product?

“My first Apple product was a 2008 Ipod nano and it was black, all glass and it was super narrow and thin. It was crazy small, especially for 2008. Then, my uncle gave me his old Mac Book Pro so I would have a lap top going into college. Then, I got a new Ipod, then I got an Ipod touch, then I got an Iphone 4 and then I got every Iphone since and then I got a Mac Book Air, I have my Ipad Mini that I got rid of for my Ipad Pro, I have my Apple watch and I’ve had two Apple TVs and I think what it comes down to is I have a problem.”

Question: Did you go into college knowing you wanted to be a teacher?

“Yes, yes I did. I applied to Slippery Rock as well as several other schools with intent of majoring in secondary education, English, and I ultimately chose Slippery Rock because it was my favorite campus out of all the ones I visited.”

Question: Given your busy schedule, how do you find time to pursue your interests?

“Well, luckily what I get to do all day long are my interests. So, I’m constantly getting to pursue things that I enjoy.  After school gives me some down time to do whatever it is I want to do, I was in a show this summer out in Zelienople with some friends of mine from college.  She was directing it and she was recruiting some of us from “good ole days”. That’s one of the nice parts about a teachers schedule, so, you know I find time there and during long weekends, I’ll take a trip to New York and do whatever, so.