The Canes Continue the Run

Dominic Cade, Sophomore Reporter

The Caniacs were out in full force on May 25 at Neshannock High School. Hundreds of New Castle fans were in attendance as they witnessed history in the making as the 2021 New Castle High baseball team now has a shot at the school’s first-ever WPIAL championship. The Hurricanes accomplished this with a 7-4 win over Blackhawk in the Class 4A semifinal game.

The team got off to a rough start, but soon things got rolling. Sophomore Anthony Miller started on the mound and pitched six straight innings to help earn the win for the Canes. Junior Dante Micaletti, who also contributed a two-run triple in the fourth inning, came in as a reliever in the seventh to close out the game.

With a record of 13-9, the Canes will now take on Montour (15-5) on Wednesday, June 2nd at 7:30 pm.  The championship game will take place at Washington Wild Things Park in Westmoreland County. Montour previously beat the Canes twice during the regular season, but it is now anyone’s game, as the championship is up for grabs.

The Canes, led by Coach Cook, are more eager and confident than ever to finally make their mark, the most eager being the ten senior players that are looking to cap off an unconventional senior year with a momentous end to their season. Senior Donny Cade noted, “We are more than just teammates, we are a family.” Best of luck to our Hurricane baseball team. Canes nation is behind you all the way.  Let’s go Canes!