Highlights: The New Castle Sr. High Band

Dominic Cade, Junior Writer

The 2021 New Castle Senior High School Band performed their last halftime of the year on Friday at Belle Vernon High School. The Marching Band has attended every football game this year. They are accompanied by the New Castle Candy Canes and Flag Line, performing their hearts out every Friday night,  but football is not the only sport the band plays for throughout the school year. 

Members of the band also attend all of the basketball games. They participate in the pep band, where they perform the Star-Spangled Banner as well as different cheers during each game. The band is led by directors Nick Yoho and John Onufrak. The Marching Band attends and performs at various events throughout the year. The New Castle Red Hurricane Band is such an important part of our school and community. 

Upcoming Events:

The Senior High Band will be displaying their talents on Thursday, December 9th at their annual Christmas concert,  which will be held at New Castle Senior High School in the auditorium.  This concert isn’t only for the Senior High Band. They will highlight the show, but we will see many performances from the Jr. High band, the 6th-grade band, who is directed by Mrs. Dando, and the Jazz band, who will be playing Christmas jazz songs from decades of both past and present. 

Another event coming up is the annual Light-Up Night parade that will be held on Saturday, November 20 at 12:30 in downtown New Castle. The parade will consist of multiple bands representing their schools as well as different floats and groups from all around the city. The New Castle Marching Band will be playing their selected piece all through downtown with Santa Clause not trailing far behind! The band will also be having a second concert in the Spring of 2022, where they will be presenting a different display of music. They would enjoy everyone coming out and supporting!

We will catch up with the New Castle Red Hurricane band before winter break to see how their events went this Fall. Thanks for reading! Go Canes!