Engineering Day 2022

Josh Hoerner, Author

The New Castle Red Hurricane Engineering Day Team are back-to-back champions.  The team consisted of 3 students, Mariah Vogus, Trinity Jamerson, and Otis Bode.  The canes won 2021 virtually.  The 2022 event was also held virtually.  In order to gain some more information and see in the eyes of the champions, we asked the participants to answer a few questions for us.  

Q1: How does Engineering Day work?

Mariah: Engineering Day is held by Ellwood Specialty Steel. They send out challenges that competing groups get to pick from. These groups then have a few months to research and present their answer to the problem via a google slide presentation. So far from what I’ve seen, a group can comprise one to about eight members.

Otis: Well, there are teams of how many students are willing to take up the task of how specific components work and engineering tools and do a presentation on it in front of a board of professional engineers.

Trinity: A group of students interested in the field of engineering comes together. We are then presented with a challenge, for instance, our group’s challenge was to find the materials and the material properties that best suit the function of industrial heat exchangers. Then we create a presentation to compete against surrounding schools that are given the same challenge. 

Q2: Why do you participate in Engineering Day?

Mariah: I participate in Engineering Day to procure experience working with like-minded individuals. It also acts as fantastic practice for research and presentation skills. The people involved are what makes Engineering Day fun and I enjoy doing what I love. 🙂 That and the trophies look pretty dang good in Mr. Carley’s room.

Otis: I participated in engineering day to further increase my knowledge on different engineering subjects and topics as later in life I want to go to college for aerospace.

Trinity: This was my first time participating in Engineering Day but I did so because I was interested in it as a career so I wanted to see what it would be  like 

Q3: How has Mr. Carley contributed?

Mariah: I believe this link portrays his contribution the best.

https://youtu.be/ub82Xb1C8os

Otis: Mr.Carly helped with explaining the rules of engineering day and proofreading and checking our presentation during the days we were working on it together. 

Trinity: I think Mr. Carley did his part in allowing my group to figure out the challenge on our own and come to our own conclusions while keeping us on track to meet the deadlines

Q4: Who do you compete against?

Mariah: We compete with other schools in Lawrence county.

Otis: We competed against different Laurence County schools for the engineering day.

Trinity: We competed against other schools in New Castle

Q5: How has or how will this event help you in the future?

Mariah: Engineering Day has taught me a great deal about responsibility, leadership, and patience. These qualities are essential for not only college group work, but colleague group works as well. I have also walked away with some knowledge about metals that will help me in the future. Also, keep in mind that conclusions are extremely important in research. Something that our team learned through a mistake. 

Otis: It has helped me in showing me the different ways to present engineering materials with the information that you gather.

Trinity: Participating in Engineering Day helped me to see that I do not like that particular field of engineering 

Thanks to all these students for their time and consideration in this interview.