Future Buckeye Marcus Hooker

Future Buckeye Marcus Hooker

Daniel Minenok, Sports Writer

After leaving New Castle High School fans in awe with highlight-reel dunks on the court and electrifying plays on the football field, Malik Hooker continued to drop jaws at The Ohio State University, breaking school records, leading the FBS in interceptions, and earning 1st-team AP All-America honors while only being a first year starter.  But soon enough, another Hooker will be dawning the scarlet and gray.  Malik’s younger brother Marcus has been a four year starter for the Red Hurricanes in both football and basketball, and broke onto the recruiting scene in 2015 after a breakthrough sophomore campaign.  Just months after his sophomore season, he picked up offers from West Virginia, Toledo, Bowling Green, and later Rutgers.  Midway through his junior season, he moved from wide receiver and safety, to running back and linebacker.  The transition served the ‘Canes well, as he and Geno Stone (current Iowa Hawkeye safety and Ne-Ca-Hi alum) led New Castle to the class 4A WPIAL Championship game at Heinz Field.  After a disappointing loss to Thomas Jefferson, Hooker transitioned to the basketball court, and continued to make an impact in numerous ways as he did on the football field, and the same way his older brother did when he wore the red and black, winning the 4A WPIAL Championship at the Peterson Event Center.  The summer going into Hooker’s senior campaign, he attended the Ohio State high school football camp, a one day event that involves athletic testing and measurements, detailed instruction from Division I coaches, drills and skill work, and competition.  Marcus had a good perfromance, but it didnt’t prove to be enough for the OSU coaches at first.  Marcus had been on the Buckeyes’ radar for quite some time, and was invited to the Bucks’ “Friday Night Lights” camp, where only Ohio State’s biggest recruits and commitments were invited to come showcase their skills.  Marcus went into the camp with a goal within reach, and came out of the camp with a goal being achieved.  The OSU staff was greatly impressed by Hooker, and offered him the scholarship he had been long awaiting.  Marcus committed within twenty-four hours of the Buckeyes’ offer, and from that moment on, he was destined to carry on his brother’s legacy and build upon the Hooker name in the scarlet and gray.