Meet The 2022-2023 Eye Of The Hurricane Staff

Justin Byers, Author

A new school year is upon us, which also means new classes and a new staff team. I thought it would be nice if you all learned who was on the staff team this year and what everyone enjoys doing when they aren’t writing a newspaper better than the New Castle News ever could. The 2022-2023 staff team includes Justin Byers, Dominic Cade, Cory Corbin, Savannah Freeman, Hailey Gonzales, Marissa Jackson, Carlee Miller, Karen Murphy, Shelby Norris, Alexa Perrotta, Noah Ritter, Jack Stalnecker, Maryn Sylvester, and Amira Johnson. Ms. Bauder will return as the publisher and advisor. There is no better place to start than the person writing this article. I will write my section in the third person to make it better for you to read. 

Justin Byers

Justin is a Junior writing for the Eye Of The Hurricane for the first time. Justin aspires to attend Penn State University for Criminal Justice and Forensic Science. Justin aspires to be a Crime Scene Investigator, detective, or work for the FBI as a Special Agent. He currently is a part of the Student Council, Academic games, and the Ne-Ca-Hi musical.

Carlee Miller

Carlee is a sophomore writing for Eye Of The Hurricane for the first time. She is currently undecided about what she wants to do after high school, but she has a few paths she is thinking about, including marketing, advertising, and public relations. She is involved in student council, peer leadership, and choir, and she will take part in New Castle’s musical this year. She loves archery, reading, and cosmetics. She is very excited to write this year and bring you the latest news around the Ne-Ca-Hi.

Noah Ritter

Noah is a sophomore and is writing for the first time. Like many other people, he is still trying to figure out what to do after high school. He will mostly work on NASCAR and college football articles. However, he does not play any sports currently. 

Maryn Sylvester

Maryn has been writing for the Eye Of The Hurricane since her junior year. Writing is one thing she is very passionate about. She loves the creative freedom she has, and she enjoys it a lot. She has been on the school’s yearbook staff since her junior year as well. She is an editor-in-chief this year and has been the school’s only majorette for the past 5 years. After high school, she plans on studying medical imaging at Pennwest Clarion or Bloomsburg University.

Karen Murphy

Karen is a sophomore, and this is her first year writing for the Eye Of The Hurricane. Karen is on the swim team and flag line team. She also does the school musical and choir. She is interested in sewing, theater, writing, and baking. Her plans after high school are unknown. 

Amira Johnson

Amira is a senior, and this is her first year writing for the Eye of the Hurricane. She is currently undecided about what to do after high school. Also, she is a captain of the Candy Canes dance team, and outside of school; she dances at NCRB (New Castle Regional Ballet).

Savannah Freeman

Savannah is a Junior and is writing for the 2nd time. She plans on attending a 4-year college in the medical field but is undecided on what college to attend. 

Shelby Norris

Shelby is a freshman, and this is her first year writing for the Eye Of The Hurricane. She plans to attend college to become a teacher. Her hobbies include cheer, reading, and volunteering. 

Marissa Jackson

Marissa is a freshman and writing for the first time. After high school, she plans on attending college at YSU in Youngstown, Ohio. She would like to go for a respiratory therapist or nurse. Right now, she is not playing any sports. She used to do cheer, candy canes, and dance for a company called Jennifer Leigh’s dance gallery. This year she was not feeling it and stopped doing it all. She wanted to try something new. She misses dancing and misses the people, but she is enjoying the break she gave herself from those things. Her interests are writing, fashion, traveling, and many other things. Mostly, she is focused on herself, including education, family, mental health, and life.

Dominic Cade

Dominic is a senior and plans to attend a four-year college after high school. What he will be studying is undecided at the moment. Currently, he is on the New Castle baseball team, the golf team, and a part of the band. He has been writing for the Eye of the Hurricane for his entire high school career, which would be roughly four years now. Also, something he enjoys doing other than playing sports or an instrument is cooking.

Jack Stalnecker

Jack is a freshman and plans on going to college after high school, but he doesn’t know which one yet. This is his first-year writing for the Eye Of The Hurricane. Also, he doesn’t play any sports for New Castle, and he does not do any extracurricular activities. A few of his interests are guitar, board games, and tennis.

Alexa Perrotta

Alexa is a junior, and this is her first year writing for the Eye Of The Hurricane. She is not sure what she wants to do after high school, but she plans on attending a four-year college for something science related.

Corey Corbin

Corey is a sophomore and writing for the second year in a row. He does not play any sports or take part in any extracurricular activities. Corey does like swimming, cooking, and reading. His plans after high school are unknown.