Getting to Know Mr. M. Bongivengo

Corey Corbin, Author

Mr. Bongivengo is a new teacher here at New Castle. He teaches on the Sr. High side. I had the pleasure of interviewing him for the school newspaper. Enjoy the interview

Q: Where were you born and raised?

“I was born and raised right here in New Castle. I graduated from here in 2009. I played football, basketball, and baseball. Even participated in the school musical in 2009 called State Fair

Q: Where did you go to college?

I went to Slippery Rock University where I played football

Q: What is your degree in? 

I have an undergraduate degree in Finance and a Master’s degree in Business Administration. I actually completed a lateral entry program to become a teacher in North Carolina. That is how I received my teaching certificate.”

Q: What classes do you teach?

I teach Financial Literacy and Today’s Foods

Q: What made you want to become a teacher?

Well, my path like I said was not the traditional route. I had some great teachers here when I went to school (Mr. Mantinaos really made me think about going into education) but I decided to go a different route. I actually had come home from working at a logistics company one day down in North Carolina and my wife told me to quit and get a job in a school because that is what I am meant to be doing! My father, grandfather, wife, and sister are all teachers so it kind of runs in the family!

Q: What is your favorite part about teaching?

I love trying to make an impact in students’ lives. Yes, I want them to retain the information from my classes, but if they learn about themselves and grow as people I feel I did my job!

Q: What is your biggest challenge in teaching?

I think the biggest challenge is making sure students stay on task and don’t get sidetracked

Q: How is your school year going so far?

Pretty good year love my students and their willingness to learn!

Q: What are your goals for this school year?

To make an impact in each student’s life I come across

Q: What do you do in your free time?

I love to hang out with my wife and son! I also coach football at Westminster College.

Q: What is your favorite restaurant in New Castle?

My favorite….such a tough question here I would have to say The Cedars or Edwards

Q: What or who is your biggest motivation?

My wife and son

Thanks to Mr. Bongivengo for a great interview. We wish him a great rest of the school year.