Athlete Spotlight: Ameir Akins

Josh Hoerner, Sports Editor

Ameir Akins is a sophomore at New Castle Junior Senior High School.  Akins is a three-sport rising star and he plays football, track, and basketball. Today, we are highlighting his football and basketball season.  He had a great football season, which was unfortunately cut short due to injury.  Akins has officially made his return to the basketball court and is playing for the Canes JV team. Hope you enjoy the interview- Josh

Q: Playing football and basketball is a very tough task.  How do you manage your bodies to make sure you are ready to go whether on the court, or the field?

A: I really drink healthy and eat healthily. You always have to be hydrated and be ready for both sports you know it’s a very physical sport. 

Q: How hard was it for you coming back from injury?  Also, what were some of the mental barriers you had to go through?

A: You know it was very hard for me coming back from my injury. I had nights where I cried and had no sleep and I really asked myself if this was really what I wanted to do. I really wanted to play football and basketball, but my mental health was not where it needed to be.

Q: How long have you been playing football?

A: This is my 9th year playing football this season.

Q: How long have you been playing basketball? 

A: My 6th year playing basketball. 

Q: What are some differences in training for the 2 sports (conditioning, practice schedules)?

A: There really is no difference between the training. You have to work every day to get better and work as hard on and off the court and the field. 

We wish Ameir the best of luck in all his future endeavors. Keep following this rising star athlete! He will be on the list to watch this upcoming season!