The Canes Are Headed To The Pete

Dominic Cade, Senior Editor

The New Castle Boys Basketball Team has just secured their spot in the Western Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic League (WPIAL) 6a Championship game with a 58-42 win over Mt. Lebanon Tuesday Night. The game was held at North Allegheny’s school stadium where New Castle students and fans packed the stadium to support Coach Blundo and the team.

The game started off slow, but the Hurricanes came out hot in the second quarter outscoring Mt. Lebanon 22-5 to give them a 17-point lead going into the half. The Blue Devils were never able to come back from the deficit and allowed the canes to cruise into the WPIAL championship game which will be held at the Peterson Event Center.

Located in Pittsburgh, Pa, the Peterson Event Center is where Pittsburgh University plays there home games, yet some around New Castle would have to say that it is the Hurricane’s home court.

The Canes will play against Central Catholic High School, a private, all-boys institution located in Pittsburgh. Ranked second in the 6a division, the Vikings had a conference record of 7-3, splitting the two-game series with New Castle having one win and one loss.

The Hurricanes are led by Senior Jonathon Anderson who posted the game high of 16 points in Tuesday night’s game. They are also led by seniors Nick Wallace, Isaiah Boice, and Dajaun Young who are looking to get their ring come Saturday night. The game will begin at 7:00 pm. Good luck to the Canes!