Abe’s Return to Ne-Ca-Hi

Alexa Perrotta, Author

I recently had the opportunity to interview one of New Castle High School’s favorite teachers of all time. Mr. Abraham (Abe) recently retired from New Castle High School where he was an English teacher for many years. Abe is filling in for Mr. Lubin for a few weeks, so we are all super excited to have him back! I was super excited that I got to catch up with him and hear about how his retirement has been going!

Q: “How has retirement been, what have you been up to?”

A: “The beginning took place in covid so at first I did a lot of walking, close to 10 miles a day because everything was shut down. I did a lot of karate at home, mostly kata. The biggest concern like everyone else was just trying to stay healthy. I’ve been working with attorney Lou Perrotta so that’s been keeping me busy.”

Q: “What made you decide to return to New Castle?”

A: “I just thought it would be a good opportunity to reconnect with staff and students. Mr. Blundo asked me to come back and it was perfect timing.”

Q: “How does it feel to be back?” 

A: “Good. It really makes me appreciate what the teachers do on a day-to-day basis. I especially appreciate all the support from the staff, especially from the English department. Miss. G as well as the other teachers have gone well beyond the call of duty.”

Q: “Which do you prefer, retirement or teaching?”

A: “Teaching because it keeps you young. I love sharing the positive energy with my students.”

Q: “What are your plans after you finish substituting?”

A: “Take it a day at a time. I’m sure there will be opportunities for other things. I plan to stay healthy and see what the future holds. It seems in life you always end up where you started from.”

I am extremely grateful that I had the opportunity to talk with Abe. The way that he has and continues to help students and staff is truly unmatched. He is a positive light in everyone’s life. I wish Abe the best wishes for whatever the future has in store for him! Thank you for the interview Abe!