The Student News Site of New Castle Senior High School

Eye of the Hurricane

• May 27Eye of the Hurricane FALL Edition Now Live!

Eye of the Hurricane

Eye of the Hurricane

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Feeling Sick? Natural Remedies to Help!

It’s the shift from Winter to Spring, from cold to warm, when many people around the world have allergies, that really gets to the human body. Many people can be affected by the sudden change in weather, which causes sickness. Here are some things that will give you a boost in beating the season change!

1. Rest

Rest allows your immune system to work at full capacity. Don’t try to “push through” while the infection works its way out of your system. Go home, put your feet up on the couch or crawl into bed, and let your body fight off the cold or flu virus you may have, by resting.

2. Hydration

Water is used to fight an infection. Infections consumes energy, which increases your requirements for water. Hot tea and brothy soups will provide the extra hydration your body needs. These hot beverages can also help soothe irritated airways.

3. Steam therapy

Take a steaming hot shower or hold your head over a steaming pot of water to help thin mucus and make it easier to expel.

4. Warm Compress

A hot compress, such as a hot water bottle or microwavable heat pack wrapped in a damp towel can provide an additional source of moist heat while you are resting in bed.

5. Honey

Honey soothes mucus membranes by creating a film and can help temporarily minimize the irritation that triggers the cough reflexes.

6. Hot Drinks

Drinking something warm provides double benefits helping from both inside and out! Inhaling steam from the cup or bowl can help thin mucus.

7. Over the Counter Remedies

You don’t need to suffer through the symptoms while your body rids itself of a cold or flu virus. There are over-the-counter medicines that can bring you relief from those symptoms. The key is to identify all symptoms you have so you can get the relief you need.

8. Saltwater Gargle

Gargling salt water helps to loosen mucus so you can easily get rid of it, making way for more mucus to move up from the lungs and lower airways. It’s one of the most well-known home remedies and one of the first things you might consider when thinking about how to get rid of chest congestion.

Stay healthy Canes! Use my tips to help!