The Student News Site of New Castle Senior High School

Eye of the Hurricane

• May 27Eye of the Hurricane FALL Edition Now Live!

Eye of the Hurricane

Eye of the Hurricane

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

The TikTok Ban: What You Need to Know

In the recent years, the popular social media app TikTok has been at the center of controversy and has faced multiple threats of a ban in countries around the world. The most recent threat came from the United States government, which announced plans to ban the app unless it was sold to an American company.

The announcement was made by President Donald Trump, who cited national security concerns as the reason for the ban. According to Trump, TikTok collects too much data on its users and has ties to the Chinese government, which could use the data for nefarious purposes.

TikTok has denied these claims, saying that all data collected on its users is stored in the United States and that it has never shared user data with the Chinese government. The company has also taken steps to distance itself from its Chinese roots, including hiring an American CEO and building a data center in the United States.

Despite these efforts, the US government has remained firm in its stance, with Trump signing an executive order in August that would effectively ban TikTok from operating in the United States by September 20th unless it was sold to an American company.

The ban has sparked outrage among TikTok users and supporters, who argue that the app has become an important platform for creative expression and social connection, especially during the COVID-19 pandemic. They also point out that the ban would disproportionately affect young people and people of color, who make up a large portion of the app’s user base.

However, the ban also has its supporters, who argue that it is necessary to protect national security and prevent the Chinese government from accessing sensitive data on American citizens.

As of now, the future of TikTok in the United States remains uncertain. The company has been in talks with several American companies, including Microsoft and Oracle, about a potential sale, but it is unclear whether a deal will be reached before the September 20th deadline.

Regardless of the outcome, the TikTok ban has raised important questions about data privacy, national security, and the power of social media companies in our society. It remains to be seen how these issues will be addressed in the coming months and years.

What do you think about the ban, canes? Let us know in the comments!