The Student News Site of New Castle Senior High School

Eye of the Hurricane

• May 27Eye of the Hurricane FALL Edition Now Live!

Eye of the Hurricane

Eye of the Hurricane

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Top 5 Best Active UFC Fighters

The UFC is a mixed martial arts sport in which people fight for championship belts in their weight class. I will be ranking the top 5 active UFC fighters as of March 1, 2024. All 5 of these fighters have the championship belts in their weight class.

5. Alex Pereira. He current holds the light heavyweight belt after defeating Jiri Prochazka in UFC 295 in November. His overall record is 9-2. His next fight will be in UFC 300 on April 13, 2024. His opponent will be Jamahal Hill. Pereira will be defending his belt against Hill. Hill’s record is 12-1. If Pereira can beat Hill, then Pereira would be one of the top fighters in the sport this year.

4. Dricus Du Plessis. He holds the middleweight belt after defeating Sean Strickland in a 5 round match in UFC 297 on January 20, 2024. He won via a split decision. Dricus’s current record is 21-2. His next opponent has not been announced yet but there are rumors that it could be Israel Adesanya. These two were supposed to fight before but did not because of Adesanya’s comments toward Du Plessis.

3. Sean O Malley. He holds the bantamweight belt after he defeated Aljamain Sterling in UFC 292 on August 19, 2023. His record is 18-1. He is one of the best UFC fighters in the sport right now and he’s been silencing the doubters. He recently defeated Marlon Vera after a 5 round fight to defend his belt.

2. Leon Edwards. He defeated Colby Covington in UFC 296 and is currently the welterweight champion. His record is 22-3. His next scheduled fight has not been announced yet but it should be very soon. He’s a great fighter and he has power and he should defend the belt all year.

1. Islam Makhachev. The best fighter in the world right now. Islam is currently 25-1 and has not fought in over a few months since he defended his belt against Alex Volkanovski. Nobody wants to fight him because of how good he really is. He is the best fighter on this list and has learned from some of the best fighters in the UFC ever. He currently holds the lightweight division belt and he will have it for a very long time.