The Student News Site of New Castle Senior High School

Eye of the Hurricane

• May 27Eye of the Hurricane FALL Edition Now Live!

Eye of the Hurricane

Eye of the Hurricane

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Recipe Wednesday DONE

HEY! Canes today I’m going to give you a recipe for some good old fashioned carrot cake. I found this recipe on https://www.loveandlemons.com

Carrot Cake Ingredients

Here’s what you’ll need to make this  carrot cake recipe:

• Carrots, of course! They make the cake super moist and tender.
    • Whole wheat pastry flour – A healthier alternative to all-purpose flour. If you don’t have whole wheat pastry flour, you can substitute a 50/50 mix of all-purpose and regular whole wheat flour.
    • Baking powder, baking soda, and eggs – They help the cake rise.
    • Maple syrup – Instead of making this cake with brown sugar or regular granulated sugar, I sweeten it naturally with pure maple syrup. I love the depth of flavor that the maple adds to the cake!
    • Applesauce – For more moisture and extra (natural) sweetness.
    • Almond milk – Or any milk you like! My homemade oat milk would work nicely here too.
    • Coconut oil – For richness. Free free to use olive oil or vegetable oil if you prefer.
    • Cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla extract – For warm, spiced flavor.
    • And sea salt – To make all the flavors pop!

How to Make  Carrot Cake

You can find the complete healthy carrot cake recipe with measurements at the bottom of this post. For now, here’s a quick overview of how it goes:

1. First, grate the carrots. Shred them on the small holes of a box grater or on the grating disk of a food processor.
    2. Next, make the batter. Combine the dry ingredients in one mixing bowl and the wet ingredients (including the carrots!) in another. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
    3. Then, bake. Pour the batter into a greased baking pan. Bake at 350°F until a toothpick inserted comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
    4. Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool. It needs to cool to room temperature before you add the frosting.
    5. Finally, frost it. Slather the cake with cream cheese frosting (or enjoy it plain!).