ESL DOJO-with Mr. Corey (Meet Student Maria Vasquez)

Tori Salem, Feature Editors

I had the pleasure to meet with Mr. Corey the ESL (English as a Second Language) teacher here at New Castle Senior High School.  Mr. Corey introduced me to an exceptional student Maria Vasquez.   Maria is currently a sophomore in the ESL program. Maria moved back to New Castle from Mexico this past June to attend school in New Castle  for the 2017 – 2018 academic year.  Maria was born in Chicago, Illinois and lived in Mexico since she was six years old.

Maria excels academically at New Castle High under Mr. Corey’s guidance and support.  Maria’s biggest achievement this year was being inducted into the National Honor Society and earning close to a 4.0 GPA for this academic year. Not only is Maria a great student but she also finds time after school to help out at her family’s restaurant. Maria stated that she enjoys New Castle High School very much;especially all of the opportunities and programs afforded her.  In closing,  I believe the following quote from Mr. Corey best sums up Maria’s future-

“Maria is a very welcomed addition to our New Castle family.  Personally, I am very proud of how she comes to school everyday, works extremely hard and displays great pride in her studies and grades.  She is a student whom I look forward to watching progress over the next few years.“

Image result for mindfulness images