New Castle Juniors aid community in revitalizing caboose

Matt Moore, Feature Editor

On Tuesday, May 15 and Wednesday, May 16, several New Castle High School 11th grade students joined local artist and educator Larry Macri in a colorful community service effort. They re-painted and revitalized the trademark caboose by the former Lawrence County Chamber of Commerce on West Washington Street.

The students spruced up the red sides of the caboose and its blackened edges. They also painted the staircases and railings.

While the juniors were more than happy and willing to get out of their rigorous classes for a few days, they were most concerned with the betterment of their community.

“Painting the caboose was an eye-opening experience into the vibrancy and aid our community needs from us, the youth,” revealed junior Sydney DePaolo.

Junior Sydney DePaolo gets creative!

“I loved seeing our school colors, red and black, most prominently featured on the caboose,” said junior David Cumo, Jr.

David Cumo, Jr. outlines bottom railing in black paint

The caboose serves as an appropriate local landmark, sporting Ne-Ca-Hi red & black and an unmissable logo that reads “Fireworks Capitol of the World.” It is yet another shining example of the natural beauty in our community when people come together for a common cause of the greater good; even if that common cause simply entails painting a caboose.

Junior Sophia Rapone rejuvenates the caboose top railings