Eye of the Hurricane

• October 18Eye of the Hurricane Holiday Edition

• September 28Fall Edition

Legends Lost: Mac Miller

Thomas Martino, Senior Contributor

Malcolm James McCormick, better known by his stage name, Mac Miller, rapper, singer, and producer. He was born January 19, 1992 in Pittsburgh, PA. Mac sadly passed away September 7, 2018 in Studio City,CA.

Mac was born in a prominent Pittsburgh suburb to a photographer and an architect. He was raised Jewish and actively practiced his faith. He attended excellent schools and began showing an interest in music when he started piano lessons at age 6. As he matured, though, he found love in Hip Hop. He also taught himself to play drums, guitar and bass during his youth. When he was 15 he released his first mixtape and was in a Pittsburgh hip hop group, “The Ill Spoken”.

In 2010 he was signed to a label and recorded with fellow Pittsburgh rapper, Wiz Khalifa. He embarked on his first solo tour, “The Incredibly Dope Tour” and sold out every single show. His success continued with the release of his first full length album, “Blue Slide Park” in 2011. He subsequently recorded with and was revered by major artists such as Maroon 5, DJ Jazzy Jeff and Pharrell.

2013 saw even more prosperity when his second album, “Watching Movies with the Sound Off” debuted at number 3 on the Billboard Charts. The success of the album earned him a spot on a European tour with fellow Pittsburgh native Wiz Khalifa and 2 Chainz. He also had a reality series on MTV titled, “Mac Miller and the Most Dope Family” which aired 2 seasons.
In 2014 his popularity soared when he signed with one of the best record labels in the US, Warner Bros. and released his third album, “GO:OD AM”, which featured the likes of Lil B, Chief Keef and Ab-Soul.

In the last two years he released 2 more albums, 2016’s “The Divine Feminine” and 2018’s “Swimming” with cameos on the former by Kendrick Lamar, CeeLo Green, Ty Dolla $ign and Anderson .Paak.  Mac’s life wasn’t without it’s troubles, though. He was arrested twice on minor offenses, but never spent more than one night behind bars. He openly struggled with both alcohol and drugs some believe due to the stresses of touring. When confronted by a friend about it, though, he promptly quit and recovered very quickly. He also had a devastating breakup with his girlfriend of two years, pop singer, Ariana Grande.

On September 7 of this year Mac Miller was supposed to shoot a music video from his most recent album, but was found unresponsive by a friend at his home in Studio City, CA. He was unable to be revived by emergency crews. The cause of death is yet to be determined. He was buried in a traditional Jewish ceremony in his hometown of Pittsburgh.

Just three days after his untimely death over 2,200 people gathered at Blue Slide Park in Pittsburgh to pay homage to the rapper, in the place that he played as a child and named his first album after. On Halloween of this year, the music world is planning a star studded tribute concert, featuring Earl Sweatshirt, John Mayer, J.I.D, Travis Scott and more. All proceeds will go to The Mac Miller Circles Fund, which gives under privileged youth in Pittsburgh access to opportunities to excel in the arts and community leadership.