Flagline Team 2017-2018

Captains Kimari Walker and Kelly Green

Victoria Kobbe, Featured Editor

Pictured from left to right: (top row) Shayla Smith, Arianna Oquendo, Jordin Berry, Dominique Tadessi, K’iara, Kristy Milky, Victoria Kobbe, captains Kelly and Kimari in middle.

Captains Kimari Walker and Kelly Green

One of the most overlooked parts of the New Castle Band’s half-time performance is the flagline. Directed by teacher Kim Cameron, the team consists of 10 girls in grades 9-12, who auditioned earlier this year and practiced throughout the summer. I interviewed the captains, Kelly Green and Kimari Walker, and senior Dominique Tadessi to get insight from members who have been on the team for the longest.

Q: What year did you start flagline?

Kelly Green: I started in my sophomore year, after I moved to New Castle as a freshman.

Kimari Walker: I started in my freshman year.

Dominique Tadessi: I started in my sophomore year, like Kelly.

Q: Does the busy schedule stress you out at times?

Kelly: Yes! All the time. I try to be involved in as many activities as possible. Even though it’s stressful at moments, flagline is one thing I really love, and that helps.

Kimari: Yes, at times. In the end, it helped me mature and strengthen all aspects of my life.

Dominique: Yes. I work as well, so it’s a very busy schedule, but it all pays off at the games.

Q: How would you describe your entire flagline career?

Kelly: I would describe it at as eventful. From the many laughs to the few tears, the last few years on this team have made a lasting imprint on me. I’ve made forever friends and had so many great memories, on and off the field.

Kimari: I would describe it as fulfilling, inspiring, and overall, just a grand feeling of accomplishment, looking back.

Dominique: I loved every moment! I’m going to miss performing under the Friday night lights and the football games the most.

Interviewing the team was such a beautiful experience, and I could clearly see the close relationship, on and off the field, the girls have created within the group. If you’re thinking of trying an extracurricular activity, make sure to look into the flagline next year. You may find friends and experiences you’d never expect to have!