Meet Miss. Harth Student Teacher from Slippery Rock University

Mackenzie Powers and Gabe Perrotta, Feature Editors

Ms. Harth is a student  teacher from Slippery Rock University.  She currently is working with Mr. Abe and will be working with Mr. Kosciuszko. 

What made you want to become a teacher?

~When I was young, I had a whiteboard and used it to teach my younger siblings new things. I loved doing this which made me want to become a teacher.

What made you go to college outside of Alaska?

~ I have always been used to traveling, so this did not seem odd to travel outside of Alaska for my further education. I traveled a lot during my senior year with my choir group, which exposed me to new places and things wherever I went. Fun fact I was actually born in Germany, which is very uncommon.

Are there any teachers that made you want to be like them?

~I have learned from all of my teachers throughout the tears but there have been ones that stood out. My choir teacher was one of inspirations due to how they pushed me to do well. My 8th grade Pre-Algebra teacher was also a huge inspiration to me. She was a strong, independent woman who started out as a college professor, but chose to become an 8th grade teacher instead.

Favorite subject in school?

~English, ALWAYS.

How do you spend your free time?

~I love to read, spend time with close friends who talk realistically about the world, paint, drive around, play music, sing, and watch Netflix. I am also involved in two clubs at Slippery Rock .

Where do you want to teach?

~I want to teach for the Department of Defense (D.O.D) and work on military bases overseas and teach the children. I would love to move around, see new places, but be able to do the same job

What is the difference between student teaching and being an actual student?

~The differences would have to be learning while teaching the students. I work 7-3 everyday teaching instead of doing essays in class. I also have to write lesson plans, meeting with my adviser, and doing paperwork.

Do you miss Alaska?

I do miss different aspects of it like my family, seeing the genuine people that surround it. Also, the beautiful scenery of it, nothing else is like the mountains that I have hiked on.

Did your family stay in Alaska?

Yes, my immediate family(Mom, Dad, and siblings) did stay in Alaska but both of my parent’s families live in different states. My mom’s side lives in Montana and my dad’s side lives in Virginia.