Why Is It Important To Learn A Foreign Language?

Sam Cwynar, Feature Writer

In the afternoon of September 7th, I had the pleasure of interviewing a legend here at New Castle Junior, Senior High School, Mr Zidow.  Mr Zidow has been a foreign language teacher here at New Castle for over 40 years, dating back to when Mr. Abraham was in high school. I was tasked with one simple thing, learn why it is important to learn a foreign language, and this is what I learned.

Q: Why is it important to know a foreign language?

A: I would say first and foremost that ones endeavor to learn a foreign language enforces in the student the value of self discipline in studying on a daily basis which surely leads to self confidence and academic success and hints the best grades ever. This practice can then be applied to other subject areas. Most foreign students learn one or more languages in addition to their own.English appears to be the #1 foreign language being mastered by these students across the globe. This will open up many more employment opportunities for them in countries everywhere.

Q: What language is the easiest to learn?

A: There is no such thing based on my first answer,you have to study 15 minutes a day. If you do that, you’ll have an “A”.

Q: What inspired you to teach so long?

A: Young people, I like to work with kids. Nothing better to help a person shape their mind, persevere, and see results of my efforts.