The Student News Site of New Castle Senior High School

Eye of the Hurricane

• May 27Eye of the Hurricane FALL Edition Now Live!

Eye of the Hurricane

Eye of the Hurricane

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Get To Know Our New Eye Of The Hurricane Advisor – Ms. Pavia

I recently had the chance to interview our new Jr. High English Teacher and Eye Of The Hurricane Advisor. Here are her responses.

1. Where did you go to college and what did you major in?

I went to Westminster College where I majored in English and Secondary Education.

2. Why did you choose to become a teacher?

I had an interest in teaching from the time I was a teenager.

3. Do you have any other teaching experience?

I taught at NCYDC for 8 years and then the state closed the facility. I then taught at Vision Quest for 3 years until the facility closed. I’ve also completed four 1/2 year sabbatical positions and substituted for many schools in Lawrence and Mercer county.

4. Why did you choose to teach at New Castle?

I was employed as a substitute at Kelly Services. New Castle is not part of that service and I could not sub at New Castle because of that, I left. I wanted to sub at New Castle so I didn’t renew my job at Kelly Services.

5. What classes will you be teaching?

I will be teaching Video Broadcasting, Digital Journalism, ELA 7, and Accelerated ELA 7

6. What is your teaching philosophy?

I believe everyone can learn. As a teacher, I believe it is my job to find a way to teach each student.

7. What are your expectations of your students in terms of behavior and academic performance?

I expect and encourage mutual respect with students. I expect students to try their best and not hesitate to ask for help on any assignment.

8. How do you plan to engage and motivate students in the subject you are teaching?

I try to make learning fun in my classes. I have daily prizes for participation, going above and beyond, and helping a classmate. I also encourage students to make a connection between ELA and any other subject.

9. How do you plan to accommodate students with different learning styles and abilities?

It’s my goal to teach every student. Sometimes I use word banks, reading aloud, or breaking assignments into multiple steps so students can all succeed.

10. What strategies do you plan to use to help struggling students?

Word banks, art projects, reading aloud, and one-on-one instruction when possible. I would also make myself available before and after school for any student in need.

11. What role do you think technology should play when teaching students?

Technology gets greater and greater each year. It’s important to stay current in technology and to use technology in every subject.

12. What are some of the biggest challenges you think you’ll face as a new teacher at New Castle?

Coming to New Castle at the end of a school year is hard. The 2 classes that I am learning really interest me and now I want to learn new things.

13. How do you plan to maintain a positive classroom environment?

Each day is another chance to teach a student. I will continually try to teach every student on a level they understand.

14. What do you hope your students will take away from your time as their teacher?

I hope my students remember that I am a dedicated learner. I would be thrilled if the students had a desire to continue life-long learning.

The entire Eye Of The Hurricane Team wishes Ms. Pavia a great start and wishes her luck in the final 2 months of the school year. Please stop by and give her a warm greeting. She is located in Ms. Bauder’s room.