Meet the New Italian Teacher Miss. Salisbury

Given our  long history of offering extensive  Italian classes and with the recent retirement of Mr. Sibeto, I wanted to take this opporunity to interview our new Italian Teacher.  Ms. Salisbury is a graduate of Youngtown State  Unviersity and is very excited on becoming  apart of this tradition.  I hope you enjoy my interview.-Austin 

Question: Why did want to become an Italian teacher?

Miss.Salisbury: It just hit me out of nowhere when I was applying for college. I started taking Italian in high school, and my younger brother followed in my footsteps. I would usually help him with his homework, not because he needed it, but because I loved it. I loved talking about all things Italian, so when it came time to apply for college, I just knew I wanted to teach Italian. I love everything about high school and all things Italian, so what better way to bring it all together than to teach Italian?

Question: Why do you like the Italian language?

Miss.Salisbury: I love the Italian language! I love language in general, but I fell in love with Italian as soon as I started learning it. I love the way it flows, the culture,  history behind it, just absolutely everything. I love the ability to talk to so many more people that I wouldn’t be able to if I only knew English. Also, sometimes I just get bored with English, so I know Italian will be there for me.

Question: What college did you attend?

Miss.Salisbury: I went to Youngstown State University.

Question: Have you ever been to Italy?

Miss.Salisbury: I have! During Summer 2016 I studied abroad for six weeks with a group from YSU. It was a trip that my professor organized. We visited a ton of places, including Milano, Rimini, Ravenna, Gradara, Modena, San Marino, Roma, Palermo, Siracusa, and the Aeolian Islands. For the last four weeks, we lived in Cefalù in Sicily and attended a language immersion school. It’s honestly quite magical, learning a language for so many years and finally visiting the country of your dreams where that language is spoken everywhere. It’s surreal, solidifying the notion that it’s not just a “classroom language,” as I call it. It’s real, and real people use it day in and day out. It’s an experience I’ll never forget.

Question: What is your opinion on Italian food?

Miss.Salisbury: There’s nothing quite like it. Food is something that tells a lot about a country’s culture, and Italian food says it all. There’s a lot of hard work and pride that goes into the preparation and presentation of even the smallest dishes. It’s more than just food; it’s a statement of tradition. It’s really something to admire and appreciate. It also tastes really really good!

Question: Where did you grow up at?

Miss.Salisbury: I grew up in northern New Jersey. If you drove an hour west, you would end up in Pennsylvania, but if you drove an hour north, you would end up in New York. Not too far from New York  (which was nice).

Question: Where were you born?

Miss.Salisbury: I was born in upstate New York, about an hour east of Syracuse.

Question: What are your strengths as a teacher?

Miss.Salisbury: I tend to be very critical of myself, making it hard to think about my strengths when I’m usually focusing on what I can do better. I’d say one of my strengths, though, is being able to come in each day with a clean slate. I try to always keep the mindset of,” It’s a new day,” meaning a new day to be better than yesterday. I think another strength I have is my positivity and optimism. I try to have a positive outlook on everything, including my student’s successes. when my students are having a hard time, they know I believe in them and their abilities, which can make the difference

Question: Where do you see yourself in five years?

Miss.Salisbury: That’s hard to think about! Definitely teaching, definitely still speaking Italian, hopefully, closer to my family (I’m trying to convince them to move closer to me), and hopefully making a difference. I like to see where the wind takes me.

Question: What’s your educational background?

Miss.Salisbury: I was brought up through Catholic schools since preschool. I graduated high school in 2013 as a member of the National Italian Honor Society, attended YSU from 2013-2018 graduating magna cum laude with a Bachelor of Science in Education and licensure to teach Italian grades PreK-12 and Integrated Language Arts grades 7-12 in the state of Ohio. I recently received licensure to teach both contents in Pennsylvania. I’m also always looking for ways to learn more. For me, education has no end.

Question: What are the other teachers like?

Miss.Salisbury: The teachers that I have met at New Castle so far has been so incredibly welcoming and helpful to me. Anytime I have a question or need advice, I know I can go to just about any teacher and they will help me no matter what. I get anxious when starting somewhere new because you never know how the others are going to react to you, but everyone at New Castle has made me feel so welcomed and so valued as an educator. It’s something for which I will always be grateful.