The Student News Site of New Castle Senior High School

Eye of the Hurricane

• May 27Eye of the Hurricane FALL Edition Now Live!

Eye of the Hurricane

Eye of the Hurricane

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

NFL Week 1 Highlights and Updates

Week 1 of the NFL is finally here, there have been some changes for some teams. Tom Brady officially retired this offseason, Aaron Rodgers is now with the Jets, Derek Carr is with the Saints, Lamar Jackson signed his 5-year, $260 million contract, Jordan Love is now the starter for the Packers and many more changes for teams.

On Thursday night, The Lions and the Chiefs played at Arrowhead Stadium to start the NFL season, this was a close game but too many mistakes by the Chiefs receivers caused the Chiefs to lose to the Lions 21-20. Lions quarterback Jared Goff threw for 253 yards and one touchdown. David Montgomery and rookie Jahmyr Gibbs rushed for a combined 116 yards with Montgomery rushing for one touchdown. Patrick Mahomes threw for 226 yards and two touchdowns but threw one interception. He was the team’s lead rusher with 45 yards.

On Sunday, the Texans played the Ravens in Baltimore, It was a slow start for the Ravens but after halftime the team improved and they were able to beat the Texans 9-25. Texans rookie quarterback CJ Stroud threw for 242 yards and he rushed for 20 yards. Dameon Pierce rushed for 38 yards. Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson threw for 169 yards but threw one interception. He was the team’s lead rusher with 38 yards. JK Dobbins rushed for 22 yards and one touchdown but had to be taken out of the game after catching a ball and landing awkwardly on his left leg. The Ravens confirmed it was a torn Achilles and Dobbins will be out for the rest of the season. Dobbins had just come back from a torn ACL in 2021. In 2022 Dobbins played for some of the Ravens games but was not as fast due to his leg still somewhat recovering.

The 49ers played the Steelers on Sunday in Pittsburgh, there was a lot of hype for the Steelers coming into this season. They played great in the preseason with Kenny Pickett throwing touchdowns. The 49ers beat the Steelers 30-7. The Steelers did not play as well as they did in the preseason. Kenny Pickett threw for 232 yards and one touchdown. He threw two interceptions. Najee Harris rushed for 31 yards. Brock Purdy threw for 220 yards and threw two touchdown passes to Brandon Aiyuk. Purdy rushed for 20 yards. Christian McCaffrey rushed for 152 yards and one touchdown.

The Dolphins and the Chargers played a thrilling game but in the final minutes of the game, The Dolphins kicked a field goal for the win. The Dolphins beat the Chargers 36-34. Tua Tagovailoa threw for 466 yards and three touchdowns. Raheem Mostert rushed for 37 yards and one touchdown. Tyreek Hill caught 11 passes for 215 yards and 2 touchdowns. Justin Herbert threw for 229 yards and one touchdown. He rushed for 17 yards and one touchdown. Austin Ekeler and Joshua Kelley rushed for a combined 208 yards and one touchdown each. 

The Bills and Jets played Monday night and there was a lot of anticipation for the Jets this year with the trade to get Aaron Rodgers. On the Jets 4th snap of the game, Aaron Rodgers was hit by a Bills player and landed awkwardly on his left leg. An MRI confirmed it was a torn Achilles, a devastating end to Rodger’s season. The game went into overtime and the Bills were punting the ball to the Jets when he ran into the endzone for a 66-yard touchdown for the Jets to beat the Bills 16-22.  Josh Allen threw for 236 yards and one touchdown and threw 3 interceptions. He rushed for 36 yards. James Cook rushed for 46 yards. Zach Wilson threw for 140 yards and one touchdown. Breece Hall rushed for 127 yards. 

Here are all the other NFL scores from Week 1

Bengals 3 vs. Browns 24 

Buccaneers 20 vs. Vikings 17

Panthers 10 vs. Falcons 24

Cardinals 16 vs. Commanders 20

Jaguars 31 vs. Colts 21

Titans 15 vs. Saints 16

Raiders 17 vs. Broncos 16

Eagles 25 vs. Patriots 20

Rams 30 vs. Seahawks 13

Packers 38 vs. Bears 20

Cowboys 40 vs. Giants 0

Looking forward to another week ahead in the NFL football world!